Thank you to the nearly 300 families who filled out the fundraising survey issued by the Spirit committee in May. In the 2011-2012 school year, based on your survey responses, we will rely on a direct request to parents as our primary fundraiser. This will allow us to reduce the number of requests for money throughout the year by eliminating the QSP Magazine drive, Dance-a-thon pledges, Domino’s Pizza Dinners, Wrap-n-mats, and Gift Wrap drive.
The annual amount requested will be $50 per-child, and tax receipts will be provided for all donations over $25.
We will also:
- Continue to organize fun community-based fundraisers: Pizza Lunches, The Spring Thaw Art Show & FUNdraiser, and Parent Pub Night/Silent Auction
- Run the Dance-a-thon as a fun, active community spirit event, eliminating the pledge portion
- Run Chapters night or a similar holiday event as a school community builder
- Make information regarding QSP Magazines and Mabel’s Labels available should you wish to make a purchase however eliminate the pep rally and formal drive
This fundraising strategy will significantly reduce the number of requests for money and will also decrease the amount of time your child is exposed to fundraising messages throughout the year. However, this new strategy will not eliminate other requests for money such as:
- Charitable Giving: Requests for donations to charities (i.e. Terry Fox Run, Food Bank Drive, Toonies for Japan, Jump-Rope for Heart) are separate from fundraisers organized by the Spirit Committee and are initiatives lead by students, staff, or, in some cases, recommended by the TDSB.
- Class Field Trips and In-Class Enrichment Activities: Financial requests to pay for class field trips and enrichment activities will continue to be sent out by the teacher organizing the field trip.
Please send your questions and comments to the Spirit cvia co-chair Krista Wylie.