The TDSB is doing a number of studies in Ward 7, including one specific to Runnymede PS.
The study affecting Runnymede is slated to begin in January 2016 and will be a Grade Change Study, in which they will consider making Runnymede a junior school from K-6, with all grade 7 and 8 students (both French Immersion and English streams) moving off site. Options being explored are moving students to Annette Jr. & Sr. PS and a campus arrangement with Western Technical School, amongst others.
In November, our Superintendent Jane Phillips-Long, attended our Parent Council meeting to continue the discussion.
The first step of the Grade Change Study is to form a Local Feasibility Team (LFT). The team will include TDSB Planning staff, the neighbouring Principals, affected Superintendents, program staff and our local Trustee, Robin Pilkey. This team will look at enrollment projection data and explore potential solutions – short- and long- term – to address overcrowding at our school.
A parent Focus Group that will advise the LFT will be held on Monday January 11, 2016. If you are interested in participating in this process please fill in the form on the Grade Change Study Page.
The LFT may conclude one of the following options:
- That monitoring Runnymede’s enrolment is acceptable in the short-term, and that a significant change in demographic data will bring the team back together when needed;
- That a Program Area Review Team (PART) should be formed to further examine immediate and long-term solutions. If a PART is recommended, this team would include all members of the LFT plus parent representatives.
- The team would meet at least twice to review the data and discuss solutions.
- A public meeting would be scheduled to share information and seek input.
- This PART committee would then bring recommendations to staff and to the Director of Education.
There is NO grade change proposed for Runnymede PS for 2016-17. This regulated process will ensure all points are considered and in place before any 7/8 students would be moved off site. As more information becomes available, we will continue to update the Grade Change Study page.
If you have questions about the Grade Change Study or the Local Feasibility Team process, please contact our Ward 7 Parent Rep Krista Wylie or our School Council Co-Chair Dale Cadeau.